I’ve tried the competitors and compiled a list of 10 reasons why Carl Laidlaw Orchards is hands down the Best Apple Orchard near Toronto!
Let’s be honest though.. Do you really need ten reasons to go apple picking? It’s pretty much the #1 rated fall activity for millennial Torontonians. Either way read on and before you know it you’ll have your weekend plans set.
Ten Reasons Carl Laidlaw Orchards is the Best Spot for Apple Picking near Toronto
- They offer a great selection of delicious apples and pears. Depending on when you go in the season you’ll be able to pick anywhere between 4-10 varieties of the orchard’s selection of twenty. Apples last in the fridge for months, so pick to your heart’s content! You’ll even discover varieties not available at the grocery store.
- On your way to the fields you’ll find a sample station of all the apple varieties available for picking arranged from the most tart to the sweetest. Knowledgable staff will tell you which varieties are best for baking, and where to find each one!
- The orchard is full of amazing spots for family photos and this year they even had a professional photographer on site capturing special moments! Our free family photo was promptly available for download that same day.
- They have lots of family friendly activities. Kids will love the jumping in the hay barn, playing with the toy tractors, trying the beam-walk, and exploring the huge property.
- Who doesn’t love a scenic wagon ride? They have wagons to take you deep into the apple orchard and to bring you back when you’re all finished with picking.
- They sell fresh baked treats and warm beverages in the fields when you need a snack break.
- If you get lucky, like we did one year, you can see wild salmon jumping out of the stream that goes through the orchard.
- There’s a bonus sun-flower and pumpkin patch that’s perfect for selfies.
- Want to bake while keeping your kitchen clean? You can make and bake your own apple pie from scratch on site!
- I saved the best reason for last: They have roasting stations for hot-dogs and corn! Nothing tastes better after apple picking than a fire-roasted dog and delicious corn on the cob.
We look forward to the fall season every year and one of our favourite fall family traditions is a trip to Carl Laidlaw Orchards. This year Elowyn was old enough to run through the rows of apple trees, “Wow I found a forest!” and to climb up the big hill all on her own. Elowyn especially loved the Silken apples and the fresh corn on the cob I roasted for her after we finished picking.
We take jumping photos every time we go (which are much harder to coordinate than you might think!) and this time Elowyn kept trying to jump on her own afterwards, “1, 2, 3 jump!”. She was still too young to leave the ground without mommy and daddy’s help, but maybe next year if she keeps practicing she’ll be able to jump on her own with the rest of the team! One day it’ll be amazing to show her that she’s been coming apple picking at Carl Laidlaw Orchards since she was in mommy’s tummy.
What are your favourite fall family traditions?
7 Comments Add yours
Shirin Aghili RM, MSc The Hamilton Midwives 189 Hughson St S Hamilton
What a charming and quaint orchard! Reminds me of my family’s farm from my youth! I will have to check this place out! Wonderful find! Thanks for the share! Cheers! -Chamblain
Buying our Halloween pumpkins from a farm!!
I absolutely love Apple picking. Growing up in NYC, we would spend every fall In upstate New York to the Apple Orchard and have an amazing time! If we went late enough in the Fall, we would also be able to pick some gourds and pumpkins. Red delicious are my absolute favorite!
Thank you for following my blog. I am Canadian but have lived here in the States since 1966. But i lived in Toronto two years, then moved to Oakville with my parents as a baby. These apples look delicious and I have never been apple picking, nor gone to an apple orchard, or a hayride. I think I need to make a Fall bucket list. We’ve had so much rain here in Southeast Michigan that it has taken away the joy of the Summer months and now the Fall months as well. We had a series of weekends in the Summer, something like 7 weekends in a row of nothing but rain and that is not the norm. We have had a rainy week this week as well. Not liking it as I’m an avid walker – but hopefully it does not spell severe weather like we had last week. I would like to reach over and grab that apple and munch on it. This morning I took two bags of apples to my squirrel friends at the Park where I walk every day. Because of the rain, I just was walking in the neighborhood and not been to visit me. They went crazy for the apples and their peanuts too. They are like having pets. I’ll write about them later this week when I check out the pictures which I hope came out well. 🙂
wish i lived closer so i could check this out!!